Take your kitchen skills to the next level with our 10-week intermediate course, covering topics such as molecular gastronomy, sous vide, braising, curing, smoking and more. It’s culinary school for the home cook, continued!
NOTE: No class will be held on 5/31.
Please let us know of any dietary restrictions we should be aware of before the first day of class so we can best accommodate your needs.
Fri. 4/19 – Fri. 6/28: 6pm – 10pm
This class is best suited for experienced home cooks or students who have completed our Beginner Culinary Series, or comparable culinary training courses.
Week 1: Plant Based Cooking
- Grilled Summer Veggie Tacos | fresh tortillas, tomatillo salsa, pickled heirloom carrot
- “Into the Garden” | salad of summer vegetables, edible dirt, champagne vinegar “dew”
- Grilled Cauliflower “Steak” | farro, citrus, fennel
Week 2: Molecular Gastronomy
- Corn Croquette | liquid center, roasted pepper gellee
- “Vichyssoise” | potato foam, leek puree, apple caviar
- Crème Fraiche Ice Cream | shattered berries, balsamic pearls
Week 3: Advanced Dry Heat Methods
- Cast Iron Flank Steak | reverse seared, pommes anna, pickled apple salsa
- Poele Pork Loin | bacon, spinach, rosemary, buerre rouge
- King Salmon | “unilaterally” sautéed, asparagus, grapefruit vinaigrette
Week 4: Game Birds and Meats
- Duck “Frites” | seared breast, duck fat fries, pistou
- Grilled Quail |
- Seared Bison Loin | ricotta gnocchi, heirloom tomato tartare
Week 5: Sous Vide
- Crispy Pork Belly | grilled summer squash, sherry vinegar gastrique
- Sous Vide Chicken Breast | crispy skin, fingerlings, sous vide béarnaise,
- “Jardinere” | slow cooked egg, radish, fennel, goldbar, brussels sprouts, caper and lemon
Week 6: Curing and Smoking
- Duck confit
- Smoked Ling Cod | cucumber, thai bird chile, cilantro rice cracker
- Brined Pork Tenderloin | rosemary smoke, stonefruit, spätzle
Week 7: Seafood
- Olive Oil Poached Albacore | pickled celery, stone ground mustard, chervil
- Crispy Skin Branzino | aqua pazza sauce, poached fennel, basil oil
- Catalina Sea Ranch Mussels vs. commodity Mussels
Week 8: Pastry
- Crème Brulee
- Grilled Stonefruit | crème fraiche, mint, chocolate espresso emulsion
- Chocolate Mousse | berry and citrus coulis, basil, walnut crumble
- Seasonal Crostada | puff pastry, crème anglaise
Week 9: Food & Wine Pairing + Menu Planning
- Revisiting Items from Past Week’s Production (Tastings and Comparisons)
- How to Complementary and Contrasting Characteristics that constitute a Good Pairing
- Wine Characteristics and How They Complement the Meal
- Design the Menu for Week 10
Week 10: Tasting Menu Dinner
- 4 Course Tasting Menu Designed and Executed by the Class for Family and Friends
We understand that “life happens”, and that you may not be able to make it to class. Because we purchase food, schedule staff, and fill spaces for our classes in advance, it’s important that you let us know ASAP if you won’t be able to make it. Below is our refund policy.
Single-Day Classes or Events
Cancellations 7 or more days in advance: Full refund
Cancellations 2 to 6 days in advance: Class/Event credit
Cancellations the day before or the day of class: No refund or credit available, but you can send a friend in your place
Cancellations 7 or more days in advance of the first class: Full refund
Cancellations 2 to 6 days in advance of the first class: Class credit
Cancellations the day before or the day of the first class: No refund or credit available, but you can send a friend in your place
Once the first day of class begins, make-up classes may be available for students who miss a day provided that they inform the Director of Admissions at least four days prior to the absence. Make-up classes may not be available if all classes are full.
What to wear & bring
What to Wear
For safety reasons, please wear pants, close-toed shoes with rubber soles, no long dangling jewelry, and have long hair either tied back or covered.
What to Bring
We’ve got you covered! You just bring you, and we’ll handle aprons, towels, tools, recipes, pens, and the rest.